Saturday, April 30, 2011

Podcasting in the Classroom


After learning about Podcasts and doing some research, I have found that implementing Podcasts into the curriculum can be a very motivating and exciting way to introduce new material. What I like about Podcasts is that they are being made everyday, giving very current news and opinions. As a teacher, I believe that keeping students updated with current happenings in the world is an aspect of our job that we have to take seriously. The one thing that comes to my mind is the tornado's that swept across Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and parts of the Carolina's in the past couple of weeks. I found a Podcast titled, Tornadoes which was made by college students aiming towards third grade students. This Podcast talks explicitly about tornadoes, giving general information like where they primarily occur, how they form, and how deadly they really are. I would reflect on the event to my students, and then have them listen to this Podcast to learn more information about tornadoes. Teachers have to be flexible, and if something is happening on earth, it often gives time for a teachable moment, such as introducing tornadoes to children who may not know much about them. Furthermore, if I wanted to teach students how to use a podcast of their own, they could do something simple in response to the information learned such as actions they should take in case a tornado struck their area, etc.

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

I think your idea of using current events would be very motivating. The podcast you chose was quite well done.